Monday 12 May 2014

Jet lag lasagne

So, I thought I would start posting all my recipes from the past few months on here and I will start with my first meal back from Australia.

My time zones were all over the place when I landed back in London and I woke up at 7am craving savoury dinner. So what do you cook for breakfast when you fancy homemade comfort food? Lasagne, that's what. Everyone thought I was mad but when you fancy something, then cook it.

I simmered tins of tomatoes with beef mince, onions, and mushrooms for about an hour and let it all reduce and get all tasty. I also added some cannelloni beans to bulk out the meat and fill us up more. Lasagne is a dish that you can add loads of boosting bits to to make it taste delicious. I would start with tomato ketchup, chutneys, or any pickles you fancy. You could go extreme like we did and add a spoonful of vegemite and chicken salt (available from your local Australian stores or online) and it added a punchy hit that brings out the best in a strong tomato reduction. Once you start adding bits, you can't stop. But don't go too far though...no-one likes custard in pasta sauce!

Once reduced and tasting good, I layered the punchy beef and tomato sauce with pasta sheets, béchamel sauce, and cheese.

I baked in the oven for about 45 mins and then served with salad.


The key to lasagne is make sure you rest it and let all the juices set a bit. This will make it easier to cut and it will sit better on the plate.

If your not jet lagged then I would suggest to serve at normal dinner hours with a glass of Italian red!

ZP x

No comments:

Post a Comment